A Data Mart is a subset of a Data Warehouse which is usually oriented towards a specific purpose ie. intended for a specific department of each organization. If the Data Warehouse contains all the organization’s data that we can tell, its Data Mart subset will collect only the information related to each specific section.
Following are the topics we will cover today to help you learn about Data Mart and Data Warehouse along with their main differences:
Check out this video on the Data Warehouse for Beginners tutorial for a better understanding of Data Warehouse concepts.
What is Data Mart?
A Data Mart is a subset of and can act as a valuable component of an effective data warehouse for the needs of a particular division or department within a company or organization.
- For example, a central collection will contain data for an entire business organization, while a data mart provides a specific subset of data to a specific group of users or departments so that they don’t waste valuable time searching for the data they need in the central collection.
- Data marts make it easy for different departments to quickly access important data insights and help prevent departments within one business organization from interfering with each other’s data.
- It is a filtered subsection of a data warehouse that facilitates data requests from specific departments or users.
- It provides a small schema containing only the tables that belong to the groups.
Get 100% Hike!
Master the most in-demand skills now!
What is Data Warehouse?
A Data Warehouse is a repository of a large amount of operational data that documents the day-to-day operations of an organization, collected from multiple sources, stored under a unified schema on a single site.
- Various operational data are analyzed and linked in the data warehouse, which is collected from various sources.
- The basic concept behind data warehousing is that the data stored for the business can be accessed most efficiently by separating it from the data that is there in the operating system.
- Data warehouses are designed to perform complex analytical queries in a simple way on large composite data sets.
- Data warehousing is not only the data in the data warehouse, but also the configuration and tools to collect queries and analyze the information.
Do you want to become a professional in the field of Data Warehousing!! we recommend you sign up Data storage training to train yourself!!!
Data Mart vs. Data Warehouse
You must have gained a clear understanding of what data mart and data warehouse are, now a brief comparison will give you a clearer idea:
|Data Mart||Data warehouse|
|A Data Mart is the subset of an organization’s data warehouse, it is related to the department’s function or specific information.||Data Warehouse contains a huge amount of information that is collected from various sources.|
|It contains a limited amount of previous historical data.||It contains stable and large amount of historical data.|
|The information in the data showcase is very easy to understand and can be navigated or accessed easily.||It cannot be easily navigated.|
|Data is stored in a data mart as a common structural form.||The data is stored in a relational database, it normalizes the data, which is finally stored in the normalized structure.|
|It takes less time and can be easily built.||It takes more time to build because the information is stored in detail as the data is collected from different sources.|
|A Data Mart may have the data or information of only one department.||It contains the data or information of the entire organization.|
|The Data Mart does not contain operational data.||It consumes a huge amount of data and contains detailed operational data.|
|Data Mart is a decentralized database system that uses warehouse data for a specific purpose, ie. meeting any needs of a department or purpose of a single user.||It is a centralized relational database that can analyze different data sets from several sources.|
Want to learn more about Data Warehouse? Here a A tutorial on data storage! For you, check out this blog from Intellipaat!
Advantages of Data Mart and Data Warehouse
There are various useful points related to Data Mart that you should consider
- Easy access to data- A smaller amount of data should be used by a specific organization or a specific department.
- Quick Observations – While working with a data mart, people operate with a small amount of data that includes only important information and this helps to quickly gain valuable insights.
- Reliability- A Data Mart can act as a valuable component of an effective data warehouse.
- Decentralized System- Datamart can be customized according to the needs of the manager.
- Storage Process- Stores data closer, which increases performance.
- It reduces the risk- It minimizes data usage risks and allows you to monitor and categorize data usage applying security and authentication to it.
- Restricted access- Data Mart is a great solution that helps to limit the access of important employees to data or employees from different departments to any selected information.
- Low price- A Data Mart is significantly cheaper to build and maintain than a Data Warehouse.
- Productivity- Data Mart has better performance because it can resolve and execute all queries in its tier.
As data resources grow rapidly and different industries and corporations establish themselves on different platforms, the need for a data warehouse becomes more important, so you should consider some of the important the advantages of Data Warehouse:
- Data Warehouse stores a large amount of previously used data, which helps users analyze the time period and various trends to make future predictions.
- It can be used to detect many trends and patterns by using data mining.
- As multiple sources of data are stored in the data warehouse at one place, it allows users to access that particular important data from multiple sources, allowing users to save time and access the data from multiple sources.
- With the help of other various backup resources, the data warehouse can help restore the resources without errors.
- It provides data restructuring so that query performance is increased and it becomes easily accessible, whether it is complex analytical queries, without affecting operating systems.
- It is so important to have access or control over user or organization data.
- Any data that will be stored once will remain in that exact position and in that state only for as long as it has been stored, so the organization must check that the data is stored securely and there is no chance of alteration if changes are to be made, this will affect reporting and analysis.
Preparing for interviews? Here they are Top Data Warehousing Interview Questions and Answers which will guide you in figuring out the interview questions
I hope the topics discussed above have given you clarity on where to store your data and which tool is more efficient for an organization as per the requirements. If your data size is small and you don’t have a lot of data storage costs, you can store it in the data store. On the other hand, if you have enough time and money to store data, you need more space to store your data and you can store it in a data warehouse.
Still have any doubts about Data Mart or Data Warehouse, start a conversation on our Community Page!