BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (WIAT) – Sherry Robinson is a powerful mother. Tomorrow she has to speak with lawyers under oath about the circumstances surrounding the death of her daughter Kamia. Kamia, 7, died in 2021 from complications due to removal of the appendix in Children’s of Alabama. Now her mother is fighting, suing the hospital and the doctors who treated Kamia for wrongful death.

On this day, Robinson’s mother is not alone in her pain. In the last year, CBS 42 has shared the stories of many mothers like Robinson – mothers who face indescribable loss. Below are some of their stories.

Pearl Williams

Remembering the day the country swore never to forget is a daily experience for Pearl Williams. Her son, Army Major Dwayne Williams, was one of 125 men and women killed at the Pentagon on September 11, 2001.

Three weeks before that tragic day, Pearl Williams knew something sinister was on the horizon.

“I had a really bad nightmare and woke up screaming, trembling,” she said. “And a low voice said, ‘Something’s going to happen to you.’ A spirit of doom overtook me, and my spirit fell.

20 years since September 11, 2001, Pearl Williams said she had only recently found a way to be at peace with what had happened.

Dwayne Williams died at the Pentagon on September 11. His mother Pearl worked tirelessly to keep Duane’s memory alive (courtesy of the Williams family)

“My pastor and my deacon told me not to focus so much on Duane’s death,” she said, “but to focus on his memory.”

Pearl Williams, who recently won a battle with COVID-19 and pneumonia, did so day after day, serving others.

“I tried to change other people’s lives,” she said.

Roy Williams said his mother didn’t just try to do that. She succeeded.

The Williams family usually honors the Major Dwayne Williams Memorial in Jacksonville City Cemetery with a wreath-laying ceremony on Sept. 11. This is what they have been doing since 2002, when the memorial was unveiled, thanks to the tireless efforts of Pearl Williams.

“She brought together politicians, people from our alma mater Jacksonville and others to help raise money to build a monument: a Duane monument in my hometown,” Roy said.

Debbie Jackson

The last time Debbie Jackson saw her son Brandon alive was to celebrate. He had turned 30 on October 10. The day before her son died, Jackson and McFry ate pizza together, which he had asked for instead of cake.

Hours later, Jackson stood in front of her door in shock as government soldiers told her that Brandon McFry had died in a car accident. She was not told that an officer had hit and killed her only son.

Jackson said she should have been told about police involvement.

Debbie Jackson, her son Brandon and his fiancée (courtesy of Debbie Jackson)

“I have a feeling they’re trying to cover something up or they’re going to tell me what happened to Brandon,” she said.

A law enforcement car crashed and killed McFry. Authorities did not reveal the name of the police officer driving the vehicle, but Taladega County Sheriff Jimmy Kilgore said the car was driven by a policewoman from the city of Taladega. He said officers were trying to stop the vehicle because of an illegally changed label.

Jackson also said she had not been informed of the location of McFry’s remains for three days.

“I had no idea where my son was,” she said.

Weeks later, McFry’s mother had not yet heard from police about the details of her son’s death.

“However – right now – they will not tell me what happened to my son, how he died in a car accident,” she said at the time. “They will not answer my questions. Why are you all hiding this from me? I want to know what happened to my son. “

Starcrease Pruitt

Jeremiah Pruitt (courtesy of Starcrease Pruitt)

On Tuesday afternoon, between his two shifts, Starcrease Pruitt stopped at his home in Ensley to check on his sons. Pruitt, a cleaner and nurse, said she brought 13-year-old Jeremiah a bag of his favorite chips: Takis.

This was the last time Starcrease Pruitt saw his son alive.

Just hours after breakfast, Jeremiah Pruitt was dead after receiving a gunshot wound that his mother said was accidentally inflicted by one of his younger twin brothers.

Now Pruitt said he had to bear two weights.

“Now I’m trying not only to bury my son, but I’m trying to cure one of the pain.”

She said her 11-year-old son was quiet after the incident and needed to be reminded of some important things.

“I had to remind him that I still love him and that it’s not his fault,” she said.

Erica Connel

One Saturday afternoon in Birmingham, in a modest funeral home on First Avenue North, the pain came out.

As the servant read the Scriptures, the pain came out in one agonizing scream.

Erica Tennis Connell, surrounded by family and friends, had reached her son’s coffin.

Kellyn Rashad Connel, 27, was shot and killed by Birmingham Police on 23 February.

Just ten days later, at a funeral home less than a mile from where Keline had taken her last breath, Erica Tennis Connel had come to take her son home.

When his mother, dressed in white, reached the coffin, she cried out.

“Honey, honey,” his mother shouted. “Call me Mom one more time,” she repeated over and over. “Call me Mom one more time.”

Erica Connel says goodbye to her son Kellyn, who was shot and killed by Birmingham police. (Photo by Lee Hedgepet)

The clerk continued to read a psalm as Erica Connel spent her last moments with her son.

“I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust,'” the minister read.

His words did not seem to soothe his mother’s pain. This was not the first time Erica Connel had lost a son to gun violence. Kelly’s older brother, Kerry, was shot 11 years ago when he was just 18.

Erica was now dealing with the death of her youngest son.

“One more time,” Erica Connel said, still standing over Kelin’s coffin. “One more time.”

Angela Chitham

Five years later, however, the family and police are still looking for answers.

Chitham’s mother, Angela Chitham, spoke to CBS 42 yesterday, on the five-year anniversary of her son’s death.

“I’m still just praying, I’m asking someone to come, just say something,” she said. “I still need justice and I pray for society. Please come out and say something. ”

Angela Chitham stands in front of the building where her son was killed. (Photo by Lee Hedgepet)

Angela Chitham also discussed the impact of the murder on two of Rod’s children who witnessed her father’s shooting.

“One was eight at the time,” she said. “He is afraid now. He is afraid of people. He doesn’t like anyone around him. He’s just really afraid that someone will hurt him.

Another of Rod’s children, who witnessed the crime, is now 18 years old.

“He still has nightmares. It was really difficult for them, “she said of the two children who found their father dead.

Previous articleGet the full Microsoft Azure training package for only $ 39
Next articleWomen’s health is not just an imperative, but a good business