NXP Semiconductors today announced the debut of the new MCX family of microcontrollers designed for smart homes, smart factories, smart cities, and the ever-expanding landscape of industrial and end IoT applications.
The MCX portfolio offers a comprehensive selection of Arm Cortex-M based MCUs. The portfolio has enhanced scalability, revolutionary product capabilities, simplified system design and a developer-focused experience through the well-known and widely used MCUXpresso suite of tools and software.
The portfolio included four device series built around a common platform fully supported using the MCUXpresso suite of development tools and software. The combination of devices, tools and software will allow developers to increase software reuse across the entire portfolio to increase development speed. The MCX family of devices also showcases the extraordinary first instance of NXP’s new, dedicated Neural Processing Unit (NPU). The NPU accelerates inference at the edge, delivering 30x faster machine learning throughput compared to a CPU core alone.
With the proliferation of edge devices, the dramatic changes in the MCU over the decades have evolved to become the heart of today’s edge applications. The next generation of MCUs should be a new class of devices that can balance the complex navigation of system costs and energy efficiency, the ever-changing landscape of power, performance, security and connectivity requirements. The breadth of MCX’s portfolio allows developers to select devices that best meet the needs of their applications.
Ron Martino, executive vice president and general manager of Edge Processing for NXP Semiconductors, said: As we approach the milestone of 75 billion connected devices, we are entering a new era of edge computing that requires us to fundamentally rethink how best to design flexible MCU portfolio. It must be scalable, optimized, and the foundation for energy-efficient industrial and end-use IoT applications today and for decades to come. Building on our strong legacy in the MCU, this new portfolio will offer the performance and integration needed to handle real-time workloads for the next wave of innovation.”
Devices from the MCX portfolio:
- MCX N Advanced 150MHz to 250MHz
- This series is designed for secure, intelligent applications, with families that include an integrated EdgeLock secure subsystem, with a dedicated NPU, with a high-performance computing architecture for real-time inference
- MCX A Essential 48MHz to 96MHz
- The series is optimized to provide critical functionality covering a wide range of applications such as motor control where cost constraints, advanced analog capabilities such as high precision data converters and fast time to market are key considerations
- MCX W wireless
- The wireless series offers low-power narrowband connectivity, including Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). The MCU is designed to simplify adding wireless connectivity to IoT devices. The energy-efficient radio helps extend the battery life of small connected systems
- MCX L ultra-low power
- With this series, the design was for power critical applications. The MCX L is one of the MCUs with the lowest static and dynamic power consumption in the industry. They dramatically extend battery life compared to traditional MCUs.
For more information on the NXP Semiconductor MCX series, visit Portfolio page
Order, price and delivery information will be announced in a separate announcement.
NXP Semiconductor | nxp.com
Sponsor this article
For the past 8 years, I have been writing about embedded technologies, adding to my technical, academic and medical editorial experience, with companies such as Elsevier and Cambridge University Press. I tell people to read what I write, not try to pronounce my last name. I’m always available for comments and suggestions, you can reach me at email@example.com and I promise I’ll make time to get back to you. I live in the Northeast with my wonderful family.
NXP Debuts Today, The MCX Family of Microcontrollers Reach A New Era In The Smart World With The Neural Processing Unit (NPU)