The company behind the evolution of online payment transactions, PayPal, is at the forefront of digital payment systems. It recently ranked 5th on Forbes’ list of the world’s 250 best respected companies. PayPal is a dream company for many software engineers and technicians. PayPal is looking for qualified engineers who can help them build a world where transactions can be done in the blink of an eye. Strong competition makes the interview process challenging and requires in-depth preparation of the most anticipated interview questions for Paypal.
Founded in 1998, PayPal democratizes financial services. It enables individuals and businesses to participate and succeed in the global economy through access to financial services. PayPal’s open digital payment infrastructure allows account holders to make transactions and interact online, on a mobile device, through an application or in person.
Headquartered in San Jose, California, USA, the company has 26,500+ employees. Using innovative technologies, PayPal makes financial services and commerce more convenient, secure and accessible to more than 425 million users worldwide.
PayPal recruitment process
PayPal conducts online interviews on campus and open roles. The application process includes submitting a personalized resume and cover letter. Candidates are selected on the basis of their CVs and are invited for an interview.
PayPal follows a candidate-friendly approach to campus and focuses beyond the applicant’s technical skills and experience. What makes the PayPal interview process different from other companies? The two separate technical rounds before the personal interview with the hiring manager.
PayPal interview process
- Online test: Conducted on Hackerrank, this online round consists of two questions with 14 test cases each.
- First technical interview: The candidate is given 2-3 coding questions that are expected to be solved within an hour.
- Second technical interview: The duration is one hour. The interviewer asks questions based on a resume. Applicants should also be prepared to answer PayPal interview questions about algorithms and data structures.
- Management round: Lasts about 45 minutes. It includes both technical and behavioral issues.
If the candidate is highly rated by most interviewers, the recruiter will contact them within 2-3 working days and the offer letter will be sent within one week.
PayPal technical interview questions: new and experienced
- What is functional programming in JS?
- What is the role of the callback function?
- How would you explain the cycle of events to a beginner?
- What is the singleton model?
- What do you understand from RDBMS?
- What is Node.js? List its main applications.
- Identify important SQL functions and their use.
- What are the main features of Hadoop?
- Distinguish between Node.js events and callbacks.
- What is the shuffle () method? Explain with an example.
- What is the procedure for memory management in Python?
- What rules do local and global variables follow?
- What do you understand about the Python namespace?
- Specify the main features of the Java programming language.
- How is the Java platform different from other platforms?
- What does the term classloader mean?
- What is the significance of static methods and variables?
- Explain binary search.
- List the key differences between insert sort and custom sort.
- How would you find the depth of a binary tree?
- Write a program to print the nodes in a circular linked list.
PayPal coding interview questions
1. How would you:
- Invert an unlinked list without recursion.
- Remove duplicate nodes in an unsorted linked list.
- Find the length of a linked list.
- Find the third node in a single connected end list.
- Implement a postorder crawl algorithm.
- Switch to a binary tree when crawling a postorder without recursion.
- Find the missing integer from 1 to 100.
- Find the duplicate number in an integer array.
2. Given an array “X” containing “n” positive integers, how would you calculate the number of inversions of the array?
3. For data on tennis players, write an algorithm for their ranking.
4. Write a code to merge two sorted linked lists, “A” and “B.”
5. A binary tree and a number are given. Return “true” if the tree contains a path from root to leaf and the sum of all values in this path leads to the given number. Otherwise, return “false”.
6. Given a sum of values and a set of non-negative integers, determine if the set has a subset where the values are equal to the sum.
7. Given numbers from 1 to 100, write a Python program to arrange them in a perfect triangle.
8. What is polymorphism in Java? How useful is it in solving modern problems?
9. What do you understand by dynamic polymorphism and runtime polymorphism? Explain with appropriate examples.
10. Indicate the differences between undoing a method and overloading the method in Java.
11. Explain the following Java terms: encapsulation, association, and aggregation.
12. What does object-oriented paradigm mean?
13. What is a static method?
14. Does Java support pointers? Give reasons for your answer.
15. What are the different specifications for accessing Java?
16. What are the main differences between lists and tuples?
17. What embedded data types in Python?
18. What are packages and modules in Python?
19. What do you understand by cutting in Python? Explain with an appropriate example.
20. Identify the main differences between SciPy and NumPy in Python.
Sample behavioral interview questions for PayPal
- How did you use your negotiation skills to convince a difficult client?
- Tell me about the moment when you took the initiative for the project.
- Share your biggest mistake in your previous role.
- Have you ever gone beyond a customer?
- What makes you interested in this role in PayPal?
- At PayPal, we believe in our ability to stay ahead of our competitors. How do you think you will be able to contribute to this trend?
- What was the most interesting project you worked on? What did you learn from him?
- How would you persuade the client to choose a different course for a project?
- If you are asked to work on a client project that you are not sure about, what steps will you take to continue?
- What do others think of you?
Tips for preparing for a PayPal interview
In addition to preparing the most anticipated interview questions for Paypal, applicants should follow the tips below to be fully prepared for the interview.
- Practice answering questions in ways that demonstrate your innovative thinking.
- Improve your fundamentals with a special focus on data structures, algorithms and system design.
- Develop the practice of talking to the interviewer during your coding process. Do not refrain from clarifying your doubts and assumptions.
- Prepare the ground for an elevator. Make sure you cover your work history, past achievements and career goals. This preparation pays off in the final rounds of the interview while answering behavioral questions.
- Participate in coding challenges to practice consistently in a competitive environment.
1. How do I break a behavioral interview for PayPal?
PayPal emphasizes three important aspects when interviewing candidates:
- how do you work
- What is more important to you?
- What do you need to progress and succeed?
So candidates need to prepare a solid story that answers these three questions. Follow the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to find behavioral interview questions.
2. Why do you want to join PayPal?
work on the company’s commitment to collaboration, wellness, innovation and inclusion. Also, weave your soft skills, such as teamwork skills, to say how you would benefit them.
3. Does PayPal pay a good salary?
The average basic salary for Paypal employees is $ 113,883 per year. The company also offers bonuses, benefits and other benefits.
4. What eligibility criteria does Paypal have?
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Diploma in CS, IT, bioinformatics or other relevant subjects.
- Minimum CGPA of 7 and minimum 70% in high school.
5. How to present yourself in a PayPal interview?
Applicants can talk about their journey to technology and relevant educational experience, do not convert your resume. Try to include different information in your statements, such as what attracted you to coding or why web development or some other skill is right for you.
6. Does PayPal pay its interns?
Yes, Paypal interns are paid. The company welcomes students and graduates to work on real, appropriate initiatives through internships.
Enroll in the PG Data Science program to learn over a dozen data science tools and skills and learn from master classes by Purdue instructors and IBM experts, exclusive hackathons, IBM Ask Me Anything sessions.
Practice these PayPal interview questions diligently to skip the interview in one fell swoop. Want to increase your chances of clearing PayPal interview questions? Enhance yourself with a professional course in Data Science and become a master in this field. Our PGP Data Science course is tailored to the needs of your career. It includes master classes by Purdue instructors and IBM experts, exclusive hackathons and IBM Ask Me Anything sessions. Register today and start learning!