If you are a new recipient of social security payments, you are probably wondering when you will receive your check. Not all Social Security beneficiaries receive their checks on the same day – in fact, there are several days each month in which payments are made. We will explain below.
You also need to know this Social security benefits can receive the largest increase we have seen for 40 years, starting in January 2023. In December you should receive a letter informing you of the amount of benefits for next year.
We will tell you when you will receive your next Social Security check and how your payment date is determined. For more, here how to change your social security card and how to find out when it is safe to share your social security number.
How are the dates for social security payments determined?
The Social Security Administration sends payments on three different Wednesdays each month – the second, third and fourth Wednesday. You will receive your money on Wednesday, it all depends on your date of birth. We will break it.
- If your birthday is between the 1st and 10th of the month, your payment will be sent on the second Wednesday of the month.
- If your birthday is between the 11th and 20th of the month, your payment will be sent on the third Wednesday of the month.
- If your birthday is between the 21st and 31st of the month, your payment will be sent on the fourth Wednesday of the month.
See the schedule for May below.
What if I get both Social Security and SSI?
If you received social security benefits before May 1997 or if you receive both social security and supplementary insurance income (SSI), the payment schedule is different. Instead, you will receive your social security payments on the third day of each month and SSI on the first day of each month.
However, these payment dates change if the 1st or 3rd of the month is a weekend. For example, last month April 3 fell on a Sunday, so you will receive your social security payment two days in advance, on April 1.
When will I receive my Social Security check for May?
here it is Schedule for May (PDF) for when you can receive your Social Security check and / or SSI money.
- April 29: SSI payments sent early for those who receive both SSI and Social Security. May 1 was Sunday this year, so the recipients received their money earlier.
- May 3: Social security payment for those who receive both SSI and social security or have received social security since May 1997.
- May 11: Social security payment for those whose birthdays are between 1 May and 10 May.
- May 18: Social security payments for those whose birthdays are between 11 May and 20 May.
- May 25: Social security payment for those whose birthdays are between 21 May and 31 May.
What if I don’t receive my check on the expected date?
If your check does not arrive on the date listed above, based on your date of birth or other circumstances, the Social Security Administration tells you to wait an additional three days for mailing before calling. If you have not yet received it, you can call 800-772-1213 to speak with a representative.
IN SSA notes that the waiting time for a conversation with a representative is shorter from Wednesday to Friday and later in the day (between 16:00 and 19:00 local time).
While you wait, you can also access your social benefits online by visiting ssa.gov/myaccount.
We will update this history every month as payment dates change.