On Zoom sixth annual consumer conference, Zoomtopia, is a hybrid event this year. It will be held virtually and in person in San Jose, California on November 8-9. Given the rise of Zoom as a tool that allows us to work remotely and now in a hybrid way, it could be argued that this is the most important Zoomtopia supported to date.
Of all the unified communications providers, Zoom is certainly unique in its appeal. Microsoft Teams is the product of choice for desktop professionals, and Cisco Webex is the product of choice for networking and communications teams. However, Zoom has great appeal among end users due to its frequent use in both work and personal events. During the pandemic, we used Zoom for birthday parties, church services, fantasy football games—and now workers want to continue using it as a primary collaboration tool.
See also: Top companies for digital transformation
Zoom’s user base gives IT respect
Zoom’s huge user base means that IT professionals should pay attention, even if your company standard is another product. A CIO I interviewed recently had this exact scenario where the organization decided to use a certain product just to get the majority of users to prefer Zoom. The result multiplied across companies: Zoom is now often the corporate standard.
Over the past few years, Zoom has changed significantly. Before the pandemic, it was an online dating company. Now there is Phone, Rooms, events, API and recently added contact center. This made me wonder what Zoomtopia 2022 will have in store for its audience.
To get a better idea, I recently interviewed Joseph Chong, Head of Product Solutions and Industry Marketing at Zoom, who gave me a preview of what’s to come at Zoomtopia. ZKast interview highlights (which were done using Zoom) done in conjunction with eWEEK eSPEAKSare below.
See also: Digital Transformation Guide: Definition, Types and Strategy
- Zoom reported revenue of more than $4 billion for the year ending January 31, 2022, growing 55 percent year over year. Given the growth of the company and the role that communications plays in the customer and employee experience today, Zoomtopia has the potential to grow from a vendor event to a larger industry event similar to VMware Explore, Dreamforce and NVIDIA GTC.
- Zoom is going strong as a platform. It’s not just a dating app anymore. There are many non-standard use cases for Zoom. During the pandemic, we learned to use the platform to improve other parts of our lives. Examples include consumer-to-consumer use cases, such as virtual birthday parties and church services, as well as business-to-consumer use cases.
- This is the first in-person Zoomtopia since COVID. It will feature over 45 sessions, meet and greets with Zoom executives and partners, and most importantly, networking with peers, developers, technology leaders, contact center leaders and others in the industry. This is the best way for attendees to learn how to best use the platform’s ability to facilitate better hybrid work.
- Past attendees have requested in-depth product training and technical labs. So for the first time, attendees will be able to personally explore Zoom products in technical labs. They will gain real-world information on topics such as security strategies, third-party applications, and integrations. Additionally, those in attendance will have access to Zoom’s brand new Zoom Hub featuring demonstrations of the Zoom platform.
- Expect to see many new products and technologies introduced at the event, designed around communications, contact centers, sales, productivity and more. Zoomtopia will also explore existing use cases in industries such as financial services, healthcare and education, as well as emerging use cases in manufacturing and retail.
- With the recent addition of Zoom Contact Center, the company has enhanced the customer service experience through video-optimized interactions. While video remains the killer app, it’s now more about the lifecycle of everything people do on Zoom, from meeting with colleagues to participating in webinars to chatting with contact center agents right on the platform.
- I’ve heard rumors of a big product announcement. While I asked about it, I wasn’t given any details other than Zoom confirming that there would be something noteworthy. Expect those details soon.
- Zoomtopia is not only about networking, but also about entertainment. This year, attendees will see musical performances by Grammy-winning artist Nelly and singer-songwriter Yola. The event will be hosted by comedian Alex Borstein, who played Susie Myerson in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’. The guest keynote speaker is another well-known celebrity: record producer and rapper Timbaland.
See also: What is data visualization